Department Head: Shirley M. Simonis
Has been County Clerk since January of 2007 and prior to 2007 had been Deputy County Clerk for 28 years.
Stevens Point, WI 54481
The County Clerk is a Constitutional Officer elected every four years by the voters of Portage County.
The County Clerk's office provides services to the County Board of Supervisors and the general public and acts as an agent and representative for the State of Wisconsin through clerical assistance, issuance and distribution of licenses, election coordination, and maintenance of records.
The County Clerk's office is the chief election official and coordinates all federal, state, county, local and school elections. The County Clerk is the official Clerk to the County Board by assuring completion of necessary support functions and performs all administrative duties as prescribed in the Wisconsin State Statutes.
The Clerk is also responsible for the following:
- Apportionment of County Tax
- Compiling the Annual County Directory
- County Dog License Records and Distributes the State Dog Licenses to Local Municipal Treasurers
- County Mail
- Election Administration
- Election Information and Results
- Information Center for the General Public
- Issuing Declarations of Domestic Partnership
- Domestic Partnership Law 770
- Vital Records FAQs on Domestic Partnership Law
- Filing the Certificate of Termination of Domestic Partnership
- Issuing Marriage Licenses
- Minutes and Agendas for County Board Meetings and various Committee Meetings
- County Map
- Solicitor Permits
- Large Assembly Permits
- Commercial Animal Establishment Licenses
- County Records
- County Board Payroll
- Notary Service
- Timber Cutting Notice
- Receives Claims Filed Against Portage County
- Keeps Records of Various County Contracts and Leases
- Tax Deed Land Sale
- Publishes the Proceedings of the Portage County Board of Supervisors