Highway Weight Restrictions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Highway Weight Restrictions

2017 Permit Letter

2017 Roads Not Posted with Weight Limits (Map)

The Portage County Highway Department will be removing seasonal weight restrictions on County Trunk Highways on the dates listed below:

  • April 3, 2017 for all County Trunk Highways located East and South of the Wisconsin River with the exception of CTH X and CTH DB.
  • April 24, 2017 for CTH X and CTH DB
  • April 27, 2017 for all remaining County Trunk Highways.    

Additional information can be obtained by contacting the Highway Department office at (715) 345-5230.

Please note that these weight restrictions are for County Trunk Highways only. Any weight restrictions on State, City, Village, or Town roads are handled by each individual entity.


Seasonal Weight Restrictions

Permits may be obtained according to the Seasonal Permit Policy adopted by the Portage County Highway Department at their February 14, 2017 meeting.  Anyone that may qualify for a permit must complete the Seasonal Permit Request Form and submit it to the Highway Department for review.  

WI Transportation Bulletin #8 Weight

2017 Seasonal Permit Policy

2017 Seasonal Permit Request Form

Bridge Postings

The following Portage County bridge is permanently posted:
County G Bridge over Mill Creek is 35 ton limit

Oversize/Overweight Vehicles

Oversize/overweight (OSOW) vehicles traveling on Portage County Highways must obtain permit coverage. Permit applications may be obtained by contacting the Highway Department office at (715) 345-5355.
OSOW vehicles traveling on municipal roads and streets must obtain permit coverage from the municipality. OSOW vehicles traveling on state highways must obtain permit coverage from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT).

For information on oversize/overweight loads including size and weight limits, please see State of Wisconsin Statute 348:

For information on oversize/overweight permits on state highways, please visit the WisDOT web page: