Please click here for up-to-date information from the Portage County Public Health Department regarding COVID-19.  Links to Portage County Daily Press Releases and county Health Department Situation Reports can be found in the ‘In The Spotlight’ box below.  If you have general questions regarding COVID-19 call 211.  

Statutory filing fee: $164.50

Forms and instructions: 


1)  You must be a Wisconsin resident.

2)  You must be a resident of the county in which you are bringing the petition.

For a person under14 years of age, the petition may be submitted by:

         * Both parents, if both are living, or the surviving parent.

         * The guardian or person who has legal custody of the minor if both parents are deceased or if parental rights have been terminated by judicial proceedings.

         * The minor’s mother, if the parents have not married, if the child is not adopted, and if paternity of the minor has not been established.

         * One parent, the Court will require consent of the non-petitioning parent.

 There are some restrictions for people engaged in professions for which the State of Wisconsin requires a license.  See Wisconsin Statutes 786.36(3).  People required to register as sex offenders are prohibited from changing their names.  See sec. 301.47(2) of 2003 Wis. Act 52.



There are four required forms which need to be filed to complete the name change process:

  • 1) Petition for Change of Name.
  • 2) Notice of Hearing
  • 3) Order for Hearing
  • 4) Order for Change of Name.

Forms for a name change, as well as Basic Steps to Handling a Name Change, can be found on the State of Wisconsin website

If you need further help, you may consult the Wisconsin Statutes, Sections 786.36 and 786.37.


Before you begin

Carefully read all the documents so that errors can be avoided. Complete all documents that apply to you. YOU MUST USE BLACK INK. Print or type the information, except for signatures, which must be notarized. A notary is available in the Clerk of Courts office. Please note: You will need a picture ID such as your Drivers License in order to have your documents notarized. 


After you have completed all documents, you must come to the Clerk of Courts office to open your file. Have photocopies of all completed documents made for your records before coming to the Clerk of Courts, or you may obtain copies in the Clerk of Courts office for .25 per page before filing or $1.25 per page after filed. After paying the statutory filing fee of $164.50, the Clerk of Courts will assign a case number and a court date.


Contact your local newspaper and make the necessary arrangements and payment to publish your Notice of Hearing for one day for three consecutive weeks (a Class 3 notice). Following publication, the newspaper will issue you a Proof of Publication. File this Proof of Publication with the Clerk of Courts prior to your hearing date, if possible, or bring it with you at the time of your hearing.

In some cases, additional information may be needed by the Court, especially in name changes for minor children under the age of 14 years. If this applies to your case please read the instructions on the appropriate form and the area on the Basic Steps to Handling a Name Change.

It is your responsibility to file the necessary affidavits along with your petition when needed.


You must arrive on time for your hearing.  You may be placed under oath and questioned by the Court in regards to the information in your Petition.  If your petition is granted, the Judge will sign the Order for Name Change and send you to the Clerk of Courts Office for filing. 

After the Hearing

Return to the Clerk of Courts office immediately after the court hearing.

If your name change is granted, your new name is effective immediately.

Bureau of Vital Statistics form. If you were born in the State of Wisconsin and your new name changes your birth certificate, or affects other vital records, you will need to complete this form in our office.

A clerk will collect the additional, necessary fees and costs from you. The fees include the following:

 There is a $10.00 fee for filing the Bureau of Vital Statistics form, if this applies to you. You may also obtain a certified copy of your new birth certificate for a cost of $20.00, for a total of $30.00. Additional copies of the same record ordered at the same time are $3.00 each. Please make check payable to State of Wis. Vital Records. We will mail this information to the State.

 If you were born in a State other than Wisconsin, it is your responsibility to contact the office of Vital Statistics in the state of your birth to find out what is required to amend your vital records there. Click on the link below and choose the appropriate state for further information.

 The clerk will certify any additional documents you may wish to obtain for a cost of $5.00 per document, plus $1.25 per page. Check should be made payable to Clerk of Courts. You will need to contact the proper individuals to report your name change and find out if they require a certified copy. This is your responsibility; the Clerk of Courts office cannot assist you with this. At anytime, you may request additional copies as you may need them.

If you need any further information regarding name change, please call the Clerk of Courts office at: 715-346-1364 ext 8.

Return to Clerk of Court Home Page


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer