Fluoride is an important nutrient for developing teeth. It mixes with the teeth, making them stronger and resistant to cavities and other dental problems. For the last 70 years, cities have been fluoridating their central drinking water to help ensure the oral health of their citizens. Those residing in Stevens Point receive this in their own drinking water. However, those that have private wells or live in the smaller villages of Portage County are likely not receiving the recommended amount of fluoride.
For this reason, Portage County has started the Fluoride Supplement Program for Children. Please follow these steps to receive your free fluoride supplements
To qualify you must
- Live in Portage County
- Have someone living in the home between the ages of 6 months and 16 years
- Not be receiving enough fluoride in your drinking water.
To apply please follow these steps:
- Complete the application, either at the Portage County Health and Human Services Building or using the document linked by clicking here
- Have your water tested for fluoride. Water testing is available at the following locations:
UWSP, College of Natural Resources 715-346-3209
US Filter/Enviroscan, Rothschild 800-338-7226
Marathon County Health Dept. 715-848-9060
AG Source, Stratford 715-687-4165
A limited number of free water tests are available from the receptionist at the Ruth Gilfry Building for clients with financial need.
- Mail a copy of your water test results to the Portage County Health and Human Services Fluoride Program.
- If the fluoride content of your water is low, a free supplement will be mailed to your home. Each order will contain a three month supply.
- Have a copy of the test results mailed to the Fluoride Supplemental Program.
Fluoride varnish is a dental treatment that can help prevent tooth decay, slow it down, or stop it from getting worse. Fluoride varnish is made with fluoride, a mineral that can strengthen tooth enamel (outer coating on teeth). Keep in mind that fluoride varnish treatments cannot completely prevent cavities. Fluoride varnish treatments can best help prevent decay when a child is also brushing using the right amount of toothpaste with fluoride, flossing regularly, getting regular dental care, drinking tap water with fluoride or taking fluoride supplements, and eating a healthy diet.
The Fluoride Varnish Program has several pieces, including a Head Start based program, a WIC-based program and Healthy Smiles for Portage County. If you would like more information on a specific part of the program, please refer to the following contact information.
- Healthy Smiles for Portage County can be reached at 715-345-5781
- All other programs, contact a Public Health Nurse at 715-345-5350