Expand/Contract Questions and Answers

  • How do I get a zoning permit?

  • When do I need a permit from Land and Water Conservation?

  • How do I rezone my property?

  • Who can help me with shoreland erosion issues?

  • How do I prepare a nutrient management plan?

  • How do I report manure runoff?

  • What is cost sharing and what can it be used for?

  • Is there a fee for Land and Water Conservation staff assistance?

  • What is a POWTS

  • What is the reason for POWTS regulation

  • What is required of me as a POWTS owner?

  • Where can I find the regulations regarding POWTS maintenance?

  • What is the Inventory and Maintenance Program?

  • What is the on-line POWTS maintenance reporting system?

  • What happens if I refuse to do POWTS maintenance?

  • What if I pump my septic tank every year or every two years?

  • What do I do with my POWTS after a flood?

Portage County Lake Shore Property Owners -

 UPDATE:  Healthy Lakes Grant funding has been extended through 2018!   

The “Healthy Lakes” grant program, aimed at helping landowners with small lake front conservation projects, is being offered to Portage County lake shore owners. The Healthy Lakes program is designed to help landowners cover part of the costs of installing lake friendly do-it-yourself conservation projects, or to hire professional project installation assistance. Please read the brochure for more information on eligible projects.

Now you can add natural beauty to your shoreline with a colorful rain garden or native planting, create fish and wildlife habitat through the addition of “fish-sticks”, or curb runoff with a water diversion project. If you are not sure which options are right for your property, Portage County staff can provide you with free technical assistance and suggestions. Eligible costs are reimbursed up to 75%, to a maximum of $1,000. 

Act soon! Don’t miss out on this limited opportunity to help improve the health of your lake!  To find out if your property is eligible, contact the Portage County Land & Water Conservation Division at 715-346-1334 or email Randy Slagg.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer