The Planning Section provides assistance on planning issues of concern for the Portage County Planning and Zoning Committee, County Board, all local government jurisdictions,and residents, and serves as a clearinghouse for information on most planning-related matters. Staff within the Planning Section provide the following services:
- Provide staff support and meeting organization for the Portage County Planning and Zoning Committee, Capital Improvements/Economic Development Committee, Urban Area Sewer Service Planning, and Urban Area Transportation Planning.
- Responsible for implementing the Comprehensive Planning requirements for Portage County and any of the 27 municipal units within the County that request assistance.
- Daily interaction (in person, by telephone, and via e-mail) with residents, municipal officials throughout the County, State agencies, other Planning and Zoning Department staff, and other Portage County Staff to provide information on planning and development issues.
- Responsible for long-range planning projects such as Comprehensive Planning, Urban Area Sewer Service Plan, Urban Area Transportation Plan, Urban Area and County-wide bicycle and pedestrian planning, assisting the Portage County Parks Department with their required Outdoor Recreation Plan update, assisting the Portage County Emergency Management Department with All Hazard Mitigation Planning, and any other specific project planning, as assigned.
- Work with the Zoning Section on updating Portage County Ordinances.
- Provide assistance on planning issues / projects for Portage County and any of the 27 municipal units of government within Portage County that request assistance, including both short-range (development review) and long-range comprehensive planning, specific project planning, ordinance update or creating, etc.) projects.
- Prepare, coordinate and actively pursue the submittal of Federal, State, and private grant applications to implement the Portage County Comprehensive Plan and other related planning projects.
- Provide administration and enforcement function, with assistance of the Portage County Corporation Counsel's office, for the Portage County Business Park Deed Restrictions and Protective Covenants.