Please click here for up-to-date information from the Portage County Public Health Department regarding COVID-19.  Links to Portage County Daily Press Releases and county Health Department Situation Reports can be found in the ‘In The Spotlight’ box below.  If you have general questions regarding COVID-19 call 211.  

Expand/Contract Questions and Answers

  • Where can I get information for applying for a passport?

  • How can I have my criminal court record expunged or pardoned?

  • Could all of the law enforcement in the county be consolidated into one county-wide police department?

  • How do I make my Circuit Court fine payment online?

  • Does the Sheriff's Office enforce municipal ordinances?

  • Do county ordinances apply within my municipality?

  • What is the jurisdiction of the Sheriff's Office?

  • How can I schedule a tour of the Health Care Center?

  • Where can I look to find out when my next court date will be?

  • Why am I getting text messages to remind me of my upcoming court hearing?

  • Where can I get information on getting a restraining order?

  • I can't find my ticket or case on (aka "CCAP") when I use case search?

  • How do I visit an inmate in the Jail?

  • Can I surrender an unwanted firearm?

  • How do I get a zoning permit?

  • How do I cancel a Camping/Lodge Reservation

  • How far in advance can I book a lodge

  • Solid Waste FAQ's & Fees

  • Someone I know was arrested last night or over the weekend. When will he/she have an appearance?

  • Someone I know was picked up last night or over the weekend. When will he/she have an appearance?

  • If I post bond, do I have to appear at all appearances?

  • How long before my bond money is returned to me?

  • How do I get my bond money returned?

  • How do I post bond for myself or for someone else?

  • Where can I purchase a plat book?

  • Can I use a credit card as a payment option?

  • How do I change my name on my tax bill after a marriage or divorce?

  • Birth, Marriage, Domestic Partnership, Domestic Partnership Termination & Death Certificates

  • The names of both the husband and wife are on the deed, but now my spouse is deceased. How do I remove my deceased spouse's name from my deed?

  • How can I record my document?

  • Where can I get a deed form?

  • How much does it cost to record a document?

  • How long does it take to get my deed back?

  • Do I have to come to the courthouse to obtain a birth record?

  • How much is a copy of a birth certificate?

  • What is the Lottery and Gaming Credit and how do I apply for this credit?

  • Are there credits available to decrease a property tax bill?

  • Where do we pay our taxes?

  • Do we send out reminders or bills for the second installment?

  • Do we accept credit cards? Why is there a fee to use a credit card?

  • Do we have payment plans available?

  • How long can my taxes remain delinquent before the County forecloses on my parcel?

  • When do my taxes become deliquent?

  • When are taxes due?

  • Who do we collect taxes for?

  • Does the MRF offer document shredding?

  • How do I dispose of motor oil or antifreeze?

  • How do I dispose of Hazardous Materials?

  • What does the standard disposal rate apply to?

  • What is the standard disposal rate?

  • Does Portage County accept resumes?

  • Will I be notified of the recruitment outcome?

  • If I apply for a job after the posted deadline, will my application still be considered?

  • What items are not accepted?

  • Who picks up my garbage and recycling?

  • What are the current job openings at Portage County?

  • Can I hire the Highway Department to perform work on my private property?

  • Can I purchase supplies from the Highway Department?

  • What if I need to contact the Highway Department after working hours?

  • When do I need a permit from Land and Water Conservation?

  • How do I rezone my property?

  • Who can help me with shoreland erosion issues?

  • How do I prepare a nutrient management plan?

  • How do I report manure runoff?

  • What is cost sharing and what can it be used for?

  • Is there a fee for Land and Water Conservation staff assistance?

  • What is a POWTS

  • What is the reason for POWTS regulation

  • What is required of me as a POWTS owner?

  • Where can I find the regulations regarding POWTS maintenance?

  • What is the Inventory and Maintenance Program?

  • What is the on-line POWTS maintenance reporting system?

  • What happens if I refuse to do POWTS maintenance?

  • What if I pump my septic tank every year or every two years?

  • What do I do with my POWTS after a flood?

  • What if I see a dead deer on the highway?

  • How do I know which benefit specialist I need to see?

  • When do the campgrounds open?

  • How do I register for Senior Center classes, programs and activities?

  • How far in advance can I reserve a campsite?

  • How do I enroll in the United States Department of Veterans Affairs Healthcare System?

  • I am a homeless veteran. What assistance is available?

  • I am being called to active duty and have questions about my employer provided pension and health benefits. Where can I get more information about my benefits?

  • I have several questions about the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) benefit program. Is there a web page for the VA where I can get answers to frequently asked questions?

  • How do I contact the Sheriff’s Office?

  • I have a question about someone in Jail. Whom can I call?

  • What are the regular office hours for the Sheriff’s Office?

  • What makes the Sheriff’s Office different from our police department?

  • Some call it the “Sheriff’s Department,” others call it the “Sheriff’s Office.” Which is correct?

  • What’s the difference between the Sheriff and a Deputy Sheriff?

  • Does the Sheriff’s Office have a ride-along program?

  • Can I intern at the Sheriff’s Office?

  • Where do I find a list of traffic and local tickets and their costs?

  • How do I pay my fine or citation?

  • How do I pay my parking ticket?

  • How do I apply for a position at the Sheriff’s Office?

  • How do I find out about property being sold at a Sheriff’s Sale?

  • What classes are currently being taught by the Sheriff’s Office?

  • Where can I find a current listing of all your warrants?

  • How do I suggest a question to be posted here, or recommend a Legal Highlight for you to showcase?

The purpose of the Portage County Groundwater Citizens Advisory Committee (GCAC) is to provide an official forum within Portage County government for discussion of topics and issues related to groundwater resources in Portage County. Through its discussions and recommendations, GCAC shall perform the function of providing technical expertise and direction in support of deliberation and ultimate decision-making by the Portage County Board of Supervisors.

GCAC is tasked with:

  • Identifying research and education needs and opportunities that promote a general understanding of issues and concerns related to groundwater resources;
  • Developing and compiling the preliminary draft of the County’s long-range plan for protection and management of groundwater (we just finished this);
  • Developing strategies for implementing the groundwater management plan; and
  • Generating recommendations for action on groundwater related issues

GCAC is comprised on of one primary representative and/or one alternate from each of the municipalities in Portage County.  Members shall be appointed by their Town or Village Boards or City Council.  Municipal representatives shall be non-elected “citizen representatives”. In the event a citizen representative cannot be appointed by a municipality, an elected official or municipal staff person may function as representative for that community; up to a maximum of twenty percent (20%) of overall GCAC membership may be of this type. Citizen representatives must be residents of the municipality they represent. For a detailed description of how GCAC operates please visit the Portage County Groundwater Citizen Advisory Committee by-laws.

Current GCAC Representatives: 





Joe Weisbrod


Edward Burns


Tommy Enright

 Amherst Alternate

 Peggy Farrell


Mike Warzynski

Belmont Alternate

Rita Walkowicz

Buena Vista

Zack Mykisen

Buena Vista Alternate

Roger Turzinski


Fred Copes


Dennis Meis

Dewey Alternate

Kathy Girolamo

Eau Pleine

David Hansen


Cecile Stelzer-Johnson

Grant Alternate

Scott Provost


Tim Zimmerman


John Droske


Garth Frost

New Hope

Jenny Larson

New Hope Alternate

Anne Abbott

Pine Grove

Ben Sawyer

Pine Grove Alternate

Jeanette Wilson


Joe Firkus Jr.


Ron Hensler


Curt Soik



Richard Burns


Mike Hinrichs

Amherst Junction


Junction City

Peter Mallek


Tarion O'Carroll

Park Ridge

Dan McFarlane

Park Ridge Alternate

Christine Neidlein


Matt Saloun


Jessie Anderson


Nicholas Schmeiser


Eric Southworth


Representative Responsibilities:

In order for the Committee to accomplish its Purpose, consistent attendance and participation in Committee meetings is expected. Members will serve as a primary means of communication on groundwater resource issues with member communities, and are expected to provide reports of the activities of GCAC to municipal boards, councils and committees, as well as communicate municipal issues or concerns to GCAC on a regular basis.

To appoint a representative:

If a citizen has expressed an interest in representing your municipality as a GCAC member, the Town/Village board may appoint him/her as your representative at your next Town/Village Board meeting.  For official purposes, we ask that you please send us a copy of the minutes of the meeting along with a letter indicating the appointee’s name and contact information, so that we may include the newly selected members on our mailing list.  Information can be sent to the Water Resource Specialist at the Portage County Planning and Zoning Department, 1462 Strongs Ave Stevens Point, WI 54481. 


GCAC has three standing subcommittees  that are made up of Committee members;  The Public Involvement and Education Subcommittee, The Groundwater Management Planning and Implementation Subcommittee and the Continual Assessment Subcommittee.  The GCAC chair may choose to create additional specialized sub-committees on as needed basis. 

  • Public Involvement and Education Subcommittee  

 Provides access to groundwater information and a platform for public involvement in groundwater management decision making.

  • The Groundwater Management Planning and Implementation Subcommittee

 Authors, updates, and implements the Groundwater Management Plan for Portage County

  • Continual Assessment Subcommittee

 Designs and implements a long-term, groundwater quality and quantity monitoring and assessment program for Portage County

 Analyze the proposed “Public Health and Groundwater Protection Ordinance” brought before GCAC by a group of concerned Portage County Citizens