Please click here for up-to-date information from the Portage County Public Health Department regarding COVID-19.  Links to Portage County Daily Press Releases and county Health Department Situation Reports can be found in the ‘In The Spotlight’ box below.  If you have general questions regarding COVID-19 call 211.  

Expand/Contract Questions and Answers

  • Where can I get information for applying for a passport?

  • How can I have my criminal court record expunged or pardoned?

  • Could all of the law enforcement in the county be consolidated into one county-wide police department?

  • How do I make my Circuit Court fine payment online?

  • Does the Sheriff's Office enforce municipal ordinances?

  • Do county ordinances apply within my municipality?

  • What is the jurisdiction of the Sheriff's Office?

  • How can I schedule a tour of the Health Care Center?

  • Where can I look to find out when my next court date will be?

  • Why am I getting text messages to remind me of my upcoming court hearing?

  • Where can I get information on getting a restraining order?

  • I can't find my ticket or case on (aka "CCAP") when I use case search?

  • How do I visit an inmate in the Jail?

  • Can I surrender an unwanted firearm?

  • How do I get a zoning permit?

  • How do I cancel a Camping/Lodge Reservation

  • How far in advance can I book a lodge

  • Solid Waste FAQ's & Fees

  • Someone I know was arrested last night or over the weekend. When will he/she have an appearance?

  • Someone I know was picked up last night or over the weekend. When will he/she have an appearance?

  • If I post bond, do I have to appear at all appearances?

  • How long before my bond money is returned to me?

  • How do I get my bond money returned?

  • How do I post bond for myself or for someone else?

  • Where can I purchase a plat book?

  • Can I use a credit card as a payment option?

  • How do I change my name on my tax bill after a marriage or divorce?

  • Birth, Marriage, Domestic Partnership, Domestic Partnership Termination & Death Certificates

  • The names of both the husband and wife are on the deed, but now my spouse is deceased. How do I remove my deceased spouse's name from my deed?

  • How can I record my document?

  • Where can I get a deed form?

  • How much does it cost to record a document?

  • How long does it take to get my deed back?

  • Do I have to come to the courthouse to obtain a birth record?

  • How much is a copy of a birth certificate?

  • What is the Lottery and Gaming Credit and how do I apply for this credit?

  • Are there credits available to decrease a property tax bill?

  • Where do we pay our taxes?

  • Do we send out reminders or bills for the second installment?

  • Do we accept credit cards? Why is there a fee to use a credit card?

  • Do we have payment plans available?

  • How long can my taxes remain delinquent before the County forecloses on my parcel?

  • When do my taxes become deliquent?

  • When are taxes due?

  • Who do we collect taxes for?

  • Does the MRF offer document shredding?

  • How do I dispose of motor oil or antifreeze?

  • How do I dispose of Hazardous Materials?

  • What does the standard disposal rate apply to?

  • What is the standard disposal rate?

  • Does Portage County accept resumes?

  • Will I be notified of the recruitment outcome?

  • If I apply for a job after the posted deadline, will my application still be considered?

  • What items are not accepted?

  • Who picks up my garbage and recycling?

  • What are the current job openings at Portage County?

  • Can I hire the Highway Department to perform work on my private property?

  • Can I purchase supplies from the Highway Department?

  • What if I need to contact the Highway Department after working hours?

  • When do I need a permit from Land and Water Conservation?

  • How do I rezone my property?

  • Who can help me with shoreland erosion issues?

  • How do I prepare a nutrient management plan?

  • How do I report manure runoff?

  • What is cost sharing and what can it be used for?

  • Is there a fee for Land and Water Conservation staff assistance?

  • What is a POWTS

  • What is the reason for POWTS regulation

  • What is required of me as a POWTS owner?

  • Where can I find the regulations regarding POWTS maintenance?

  • What is the Inventory and Maintenance Program?

  • What is the on-line POWTS maintenance reporting system?

  • What happens if I refuse to do POWTS maintenance?

  • What if I pump my septic tank every year or every two years?

  • What do I do with my POWTS after a flood?

  • What if I see a dead deer on the highway?

  • How do I know which benefit specialist I need to see?

  • When do the campgrounds open?

  • How do I register for Senior Center classes, programs and activities?

  • How far in advance can I reserve a campsite?

  • How do I enroll in the United States Department of Veterans Affairs Healthcare System?

  • I am a homeless veteran. What assistance is available?

  • I am being called to active duty and have questions about my employer provided pension and health benefits. Where can I get more information about my benefits?

  • I have several questions about the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) benefit program. Is there a web page for the VA where I can get answers to frequently asked questions?

  • How do I contact the Sheriff’s Office?

  • I have a question about someone in Jail. Whom can I call?

  • What are the regular office hours for the Sheriff’s Office?

  • What makes the Sheriff’s Office different from our police department?

  • Some call it the “Sheriff’s Department,” others call it the “Sheriff’s Office.” Which is correct?

  • What’s the difference between the Sheriff and a Deputy Sheriff?

  • Does the Sheriff’s Office have a ride-along program?

  • Can I intern at the Sheriff’s Office?

  • Where do I find a list of traffic and local tickets and their costs?

  • How do I pay my fine or citation?

  • How do I pay my parking ticket?

  • How do I apply for a position at the Sheriff’s Office?

  • How do I find out about property being sold at a Sheriff’s Sale?

  • What classes are currently being taught by the Sheriff’s Office?

  • Where can I find a current listing of all your warrants?

  • How do I suggest a question to be posted here, or recommend a Legal Highlight for you to showcase?

 The 2017 Portage County Groundwater Management Plan was adopted by the Portage County Board of Supervisors on July .  Click here to view the 2017 Groundwater Management Plan.

Portage County’s Groundwater Management Plan was originally drafted in 1988, with an update completed in 2004.  The 2004 version of the management plan can be found here.

2004 Portage County Groundwater Management Plan

The Portage County Groundwater Citizens Advisory Committee (GCAC) has worked since 2015  to update the Groundwater Management Plan.  The Plan assesses the current quality and quantity of the groundwater resources (including trends); identifies the uses and users that depend on this resource; discusses vulnerabilities to contamination and depletion; categorizes the impacts and conflicts related to these uses, and considers potential impacts of changes in uses; and provides options and recommendations for mediating conflicts based on groundwater sustainability.

The public was encouraged to provide feedback and comments on the draft management plan August through October 2016. The feedback and comments were gathered, discussed by GCAC and incorporated into the document. A table of all the feedback received and how it was addressed within the draft management plan can be found below.  The public will once again have an opportunity to provide feedback and/or comment on the plan at a formal Public Hearing.

 Public Feedback on the 2017 Draft Portage County Groundwater Management Plan

The Portage County Planning and Zoning, the Land and Water Conservation, and the Agriculture and Extension Education Committees recommended the Portage County Groundwater Management Plan for recommendation to the Portage County Board of Supervisors on June 26, 2017 .  The 2017 Portage County Groundwater Management Plan was adopted by the Portage County Board of Supervisors on July 18, 2017 and was signed by the Portage County Executive on July 20, 2017.

2017 Groundwater Management Plan

The Plan is currently labeled as Chapter 5 as the document will become a Chapter in the Portage County Comprehensive Plan.