Please click here for up-to-date information from the Portage County Public Health Department regarding COVID-19.  Links to Portage County Daily Press Releases and county Health Department Situation Reports can be found in the ‘In The Spotlight’ box below.  If you have general questions regarding COVID-19 call 211.  

Zoning Permit Application Process

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Below is a summary of procedures required to obtain a Zoning Permit; see Section of the Portage County Zoning Ordinance for complete requirements.

Application Steps:

  1. Submit a completed Zoning Permit Application Form including Property Owners signature to our office using the contact information listed above. Return the completed application to our office at least 2 weeks prior to the intended start of construction. Construction start includes footings, foundations, basements and slab work.

  2. Attach a Drawing showing the shape and dimensions of the lot to be built upon, the exact size and location of the building on the lot including setback from all property lines, the existing or intended use of the building, the distance between the nearest point on the building and the centerline of the road/road right-of-way, water body, well, septic tank and drainfield. (see Zoning Setbacks).
    Property owner will also need to stake the location of any proposed structure to allow verification of compliance with setback requirements.

  3. Include Fee payment– depends on work being proposed. (see Fee Schedule)

  4. A Sanitary Permit is required before a Zoning Permit can be issued for new homes and additions to homes which increase the number of bedrooms or disrupt the existing building sewer line. A licensed plumber must submit a sanitary permit application to our office for any septic system with running water (see Plumbers List). Homeowners are allowed to apply for non-plumbing sanitary permits such as privies or outhouses.

  5. Submittal of a separate Stormwater Plan Review form is required in the following instances:
    • Accessory building(s) greater than 2,000 sq.ft. proposed in any Residential zoning district (R1, R2, R3, R4, R5);
    • Commercial development proposed in any zoning district;
    • Any development proposed in the C1, C2, C3, C4, Ind, or PD zoning district;
    • New construction proposed within 300’ of surface water or wetlands and drains towards surface; water or wetlands;
    • New construction proposed which may increase stormwater or sediment onto an adjacent property.

  6. A property address needs to be assigned to any new or vacant lot where construction is now proposed. Contact the Town Clerk in the town where construction is to take place to obtain the address number assignment.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer