Genealogy Research Rules & Regulations
New Hours: Monday through Thursday ONLY
9:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
1:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Information Available to Researchers:
Portage County's Register of Deeds/Land Description Office maintains a tremendous amount of important historical documents pertaining to the county. Historical documents maintained in the office and accessible to the general public are listed below:
- Property Ownership
- Plat Maps
- Section Maps
- Land Patents
- Birth Records
- Marriage Records
- Death Records
Office Policy for Vital Records Researchers
- Two to three people are allowed in the research area at one time. This number will be determined by staff based on work surface availability.
- For your own protection and to avoid suspicion all sweaters, coats, purses, bags, and briefcase must be stowed under the research table. WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO INSPECT ALL ITEMS brought in by you and used by you while you perform research.
- Register of Deeds staff has first priority use of all indexes and records to conduct their daily business.
- You assume all responsibility for conforming with the laws of library and literary property rights which may be involved in your use of the vital record.
- The use of certain records and indexes is restricted by Wisconsin Statute. This office reserves the right to restrict access to records which are not arranged or being arranged, records which are confidential or contain confidential information.
- Sign in before entering search area & present picture ID.
- No children under twelve.
- Must search index prior to pulling record or volume.
- Respect staff's property to use indexes and records.
- No food or beverages allowed.
- Only pencils allowed.
- Do not alter/mark/write on any document or index.
- No cameras/video or duplicating equipment allowed.
- Refrain form loud talking.
- No cell phones allowed in office.
- Return indexes/volumes back to their proper place.
- Sign out when done searching.
- Only one verbal warning will be given. Continued violators will be asked to leave the office.
We thank you for your cooperation.
Genealogy LinksAfrican American Genealogy Resources
Ancestry Library Search - Excellent Genealogy Search Tool - Cost $5 per Month
Copyright Issues and FAQs (As Associated with Genealogy)
Cyndi's List of Genealogy Sites on the Internet - (41,850 links in 100 categories) United States Index
Everton's Genealogical Helper Web Site - Wisconsin Page
Family Tree Maker's Genealogy Site
Federation of Genealogical Societies
History at Home: A Guide to Genealogy
How Common Is My Name? - (From 1990 Census Records)
Janyce's ROOT DIGGIN' DEPT. (Genealogy)
Latter Day Saints (Mormon) - How-to Genealogy Site - Family History Centers Available Databases
National Genealogy Society
Native American Genealogy Resources on the Internet
The Genealogy Home Page - Comprehensive Genealogy Site
New WWW Genealogy Pages
RootsWeb Genealogical Data Cooperative - Interactive Search
Research-It! - Your one-stop reference desk
Social Security Online
The ULTIMATE collection of Genealogy Links on the Web
U.S. Census - Genealogy Information. Includes 10 most common first/last names
The USGenWeb Project