The 2019 Class is Coming!
The next Citizens' Academy class dates have not yet been announced. When they are, we will announce them, probably in late summer. Spaces are limited to 20 attendees. Don't delay in getting your application in.
About the Academy
The Portage County Sheriff’s Office, Stevens Point Police and Fire Departments, and Plover Police Department host an academy to help provide our citizens the opportunity to experience what our law enforcement officers and firefighters do every day.
The academy consists of a basic law enforcement and fire/rescue overview with tours and explanations of our services. The participants will also have the opportunity to participate in firearms familiarization, emergency vehicle operations course, arrest tactics, among other police and fire related training.
The class is limited to 20 persons. All applicants must be a minimum of 18 years old, and are subject to a background and criminal history check to ensure the integrity of our program.
Next Scheduled Class
Click here for a complete list of scheduled Citizens' Academy sessions.
Classes will be held from 6:00 P.M. to 9:00 P.M. on Thursdays unless otherwise noted.
The following topics are covered during the 12 sessions:
- Introduction and Tour of Sheriff's Office and Stevens Point Police Department Facilities
- Fire Service Training and Tour
- Operating While Intoxicated (OWI)/ Traffic Contacts
- Emergency Vehicle Operations Course
- Drug Investigations and Jail Presentation
- Range Day
- Deadly Force and Firearm Scenarios
- Fire Training
- Emergency Medical Services (EMS)
- Defense and Arrest Tactics (DAAT)/ Pepper Spray (O.C.)/ Taser/ K-9
- Tactical Training House
For More Information/Contact Us
For more information, contact Deputy Eric Koepsell: firstname.lastname@example.org.